Request a Callback

By submitting this form, you indicate your consent for Action Legal and it's partners to contact you via the information provided in this form. For more information about how we use your information please read our privacy policy

Slips, Trips and Falls

Home / Slips, Trips and Falls

Falling over in public can feel embarrassing and unfair, especially if caused by somebody else's negligence. But worse than that the injuries caused can be painful, and sometimes serious.

Making a compensation claim can seem daunting. But we're here to make sure you know exactly what it involves and to guide you through the process one step at a time. Whether you know you have a claim, or are looking for free, impartial advice about potentially making a claim, we can help.

We have 20 years' experience helping people access compensation. So, if your accident happened in the last three years and was somebody else's fault, then there's a good chance you're entitled to make a claim.

People don't deserve to be injured because of somebody else's inaction or neglect. They don't deserve to be left out of pocket or unable to work because of an injury that could have been avoided. And that's why we're committed to helping people make it right.

So, if you'd like free, impartial advice or to be put in contact with a specialist solicitor, call us for free on 0333 443 2114 .

Who's at fault for your fall?

Slips, trips and falls generally happen because businesses and local councils didn't take the correct safety measures to keep you and other members of the public safe.

This means most slips or falls are caused by:

  • Wet floors
  • Uneven flooring
  • Cracked or uneven pavements
  • Unexpected obstacles
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Your local council is responsible for keeping public pavements, steps and walkways safe.

Businesses such as shops, supermarkets, pubs and restaurants also have a responsibility to keep you safe from slips and trips. They must signpost wet floors, keep walkways or aisles clear and clean up spillages as quickly as possible.

If your accident was caused by any of the above, get in contact with us on 0800 044 8752 . All calls with us are free, and we'll never pressure you into claiming – you can simply get the advice you need.

About your compensation

We understand how stressful it can be to suffer an injury because of a slip, trip or fall. It can affect your mobility and your ability to work. Compensation can help you get back to where you were before your injury.

Your compensation could help to cover the costs of any medical treatment and physiotherapy that may help you recover. It could also help to make up for any lost earnings from taking time off work.

We can give you an idea of how much your claim might be worth via our claims calculator. Our calculator is a free tool that asks you some questions about your accident. It then gives you an estimated figure on how much you might be able to claim.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0333 443 2114 to speak to one of our advisors, who will be able to let you know whether they think you can make a claim.

Our solicitors

We work with a panel of expert solicitors who are spread across the UK. We monitor the standards of our solicitors, to make sure you're getting the best service possible.

Your solicitor will be your point of contact throughout your claim, and will make sure you're kept up to date and fully aware of how your claim is progressing.

Most of the time, they'll be able to make your claim on a no win no fee basis. This protects you from financial risk, as you won't have to pay your solicitor if your claim isn't successful.

Slips, trips and falls at work

We know you may be worried that if you make a claim against your employer you may lose your job or be treated differently, but this isn't true. When you make a claim against your employer for a slip or trip at work, or any other type of work accident claim, you are protected by law. It's illegal for your employer to dismiss you or treat you differently because of your claim.

You may also be concerned that when you make a claim against your employer they'll be left out of pocket, or with a settlement amount they can't afford. Again, this isn't true. When a claim is made against an employer, it is their insurer who pays the compensation, not them.

By law, employers must take out employer's liability insurance to cover the cost of claims made against them. So, don't worry – making a work injury claim won't leave your employer with a bill they can't pay.

Slips, trips and falls in a public place

Shops and restaurants have a duty of care to keep you safe from slips, trips and falls while you're on their premises. They must make sure they create a safe environment for their staff and you. This includes clearly highlighting hazards and making sure pathways and corridors are free of obstacles.

In some cases, even if there was a sign warning you of a hazard such as a wet floor, you may still be able to claim for compensation if you were injured. The shop or restaurant is still responsible if the measures put in place do not suitably reduce the risk. For example, the spillage may have been there for a long time, or may be over spilling the hazard sign.

Slips and trips in rented accommodation

If you live in rented accommodation then your landlord, council or housing association is responsible for keeping the property well maintained. This means that any dangers or malfunctions in your home should be fixed as soon as reasonably possible.

If your landlord, council or housing association hasn't maintained your property to a safe standard, then accidents such as slips, trips and falls can happen. You can call us for free on 0333 443 2114 for confidential advice and to find out whether we think you have a claim.

Some people worry about the cost of their work accident claim on their employer.
Please don't worry. All employers are required by law to take out employers' liability insurance. And your compensation will be paid by their insurance – so you don't need to worry about your claim leaving your employer with a bill they can't afford.

You're protected at work by law

All employers have a 'duty of care' towards their employees – they're required by law to protect you. Your employer must take steps to make sure your working environment is safe for you and your colleagues to work in.

If an employer doesn't follow the general health and safety regulations, such as The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, then they've put you at risk and are responsible for your accident.

This also includes any regulations that are specific to your working environment, such as The Work at Height Regulations 2005 act or 'Six-Pack' Regulations 1992 for roles based in a factory.

There are also laws in place to make it illegal for your employer to fire you or treat you differently because you're making a claim. If they did fire you, this would be considered 'unfair dismissal', and you could take further legal action.

What types of accidents and injuries can happen at work?

We have 20 years' experience helping people make it right after an accident at work. During that time, we've learnt that there is no typical accident. But, we do have some more information on certain types of work accident linked below:

Visit Website : Action Legal Call Free From A Landline 0333 443 2114 Or Cheaper From A Mobile Call 0113 4199 818 (Mon. to Thurs. 10am to 8pm, Fri. 9am to 5pm, Sat. 10am to 4pm).

Compensation Calculator

Find out in 60 seconds how much your compensation claim may be worth.



Happy Customers

Action Legal has successfully been processing Personal Injury Claims for the past thirteen years and have helped claim thousands of pounds in compensation. We value all the feedback we receive from new and existing clients and strive to improve our services on an ongoing basis.